Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April 18, 2012

"Title: 50"
By Laurie J. Hamblen

Heat rises from within me but no fever is there.
Cool are the nights but sweat I bear.
Thoughts become unclear and sometimes sharp like a blade.
No more plugs will be required soon as I grow hotter day by day.
Shreds of my mane and nails dry.
Time has gone by so fast and yet I sweat.
Peel off the sweatshirt and
Wear a tank instead.
Take Primrose oil with black co-ash.
Protects the heart now they say.
But I can't stand another day.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse"
By Deans and Directors of Nicolet

Amidst the noise of an everyday life
I seek the quiet space in the depths of my soul
Or in the soothing sounds of a breeze in the leaves.
As the wind blows by in the trees,
I see the light of day.
I seek the stillness of my heart's spirit
going to my sacred inner space, honoring that sacred inner place.
And when the day seems gray and my spirit needs a lift . . .
I am reminded of the coming Zombie Apocalpyse with a longing joy.
Oh, the whispering pines.
I close my eyes and let nature take me away.
The birds call me with a sweet song that invites me to go astray.
While the wind shakes the popples and dances on the lake,
I seek the quietness amidst the noise of everyday life.

This poem was created collectively during a meeting on April 17, 2012. In round-robin fashion, each person added to the poem.