Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Monday, April 9, 2012

April 9, 2012

"Crocodile Moon"
By Tracy Bergman

Once upon a night in June
When the moon looked like a smile
By the light of the smiling moon
I became a were-crocodile
As I walked with gator gait
And swam looking like a log
I stumbled upon my true love
Crying to a mournful song
I tried to ask her why it was
She wept upon this night
But from me she ran and hid
In fear of my gator bite
I explained it would be hard
To look past my teeth
I begged her to please make attempt
To see the person underneath
So we spent the night a pair
I learned why she cried alone
I would cure her loneliness
And she would cure my own
When I changed back that morning
She did not mind at all
I no longer could swim like a log
And was no longer six feet tall
I'm glad she saw the worst in me
And still could see the best
So of my days, person or beast
With her I will spend my best

Inspired by the smiling moon and my daughter's love for crocodiles.

* * * * * * * * * *

"They’ll Never Know My Name"
Kari Kruger, RN

We’re locked behind closed doors today
to care for God’s lost souls.
We bath and dress and walk and smile,
to accomplish all their goals.
Their goals are far and few between
the endless days and nights.
For most are lost somewhere behind
and living takes new sights.
We know they’ll never know our name,
as we nurture them with love.
But you see it really matters not,
we’re strengthened from above.
We hold a hand and dry a tear,
as we try to get a smile.
Our work is deep and takes new life,
we’re with them mile by mile.
So know kind soul of mine for now,
confusion robs who you are.
We vow to keep the old ‘you’ alive,
til heaven needs a new star.

Being a nurse on an Alzheimer's Care Unit was one of the saddest, yet mot rewarding positions I have ever had. I wrote this poem to my caring staff and the countless families we had the privilege of being being involved with.