Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 6, 2012

April 6, 2012

"My Love Is Like a Soda Bottle"
By Danielle Reinhard

Filled with yummyness from the start
Capped shut and sealed
Left alone in a store for quite some time
Hoping to be picked up
And sipped for a taste or two

Then one day you came along
Gave me a hug
With all five fingers, not just a few
And broke my seal
Screaming from the pain of being broken open
As air from inside gushed out

Forgetting about
What had truly been inside of me
The realization hurt
Yet I was in your caring hands
Much warmer than any
Machine
Stocker
Or Shelf

Drying my tears
I believe you liked the taste
From the smile upon your face
If soda bottles could smile
If soda bottles had a face
I would be smiling right back at you.

Inspiration from the first date with current boyfriend over a year ago.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Oh, So Greedy"
Anonymous

Hedge fund manager - earned over a billion in a year - indeed!
Really now, how much money does one person need?!

How many mouths could the super rich feed,
Yet the poor and misfortunate suffer and bleed.

Every dollar earned just plants another seed,
Avarice and money lust it does breed.

Warning after warning, when will we heed,
Moral and economic collapse - the result of greed.

Let's all make a vow . . .
Wait . . .
Just a minute . . .

Okay, alright! I confess, I confess to everyone,
When the lottery hit $600 million I bought a ticket and I'd have
     taken the money if I'd have won.

From an adjunct faculty member who wishes he was perfect.