Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

April 5, 2012

"Flotsam"
By Danielle Branley

I walk along the beach
of my life wandering
picking up the bits that wash
ashore finding
as I go that I
recognize some thing
with telltale clues
others not knowing
what they used to be
only their coming
signals the shipwreck
like a bell ringing
the past destruction
I am rebuilding.

I wrote this poem while doing research on my Grandfather who was native. After my mother died, my father sent me to Wisconsin to live with an Aunt. I never saw my mother's family ever again . . . I am a student at Nicolet once again as I have to change my career in order to support my husband who is a disabled Iraqi War veteran.

* * * * * * * * * *

"The Place Within"
By Sue Perry

As I intently search for a calming place,
to transcend my body, spirit, and mind,
I realize the complexities of life,
make it increasingly harder to find.

The hustle that surrounds me, whirls about,
stifling my familiar senses,
Until sights and sounds merge together,
defying my tranquility of presence.

The "what-ifs" and "need mores" press acutely on every side,
With barely room to breathe; not a resting comfort to abide.

The longing which lies deep within me,
beckons and stirs within my soul,
And I am reminded to focus clearly ahead,
as I fight to attain this goal.

For it is peace and contentment I strive for,
despite the worldly views and ways,
Recalling what is truly important,
for my future years and present days.

The busyness of life overwhelms me,
and grief overshadows my entire being,
As I strive to find the meaning of life,
and believe what my spirit is seeing.

It is then the realization within me occurs,
that true peace is there, and I smile,
Recognizing it is impressed deeply within,
mine all the while.

For this contentment is not dependent,
on circumstances which whirl about,
But in an awareness of my confidence,
that banishes all self-doubt.

Peace truly does come from within,
charged and ready for me to claim.
Securing the tranquility I long for,
and neutralizing earthly pain.

So as I struggle in the worldy way,
and ponder on decisions which are best,
I will occasionally escape to this place within,
where I can revel in true rest.

I have been a full-time nursing instructor for the last eight years and a nurse for "lots longer." I have enjoyed writing poetry since I was twelve, and my poetry usually has had a soul-searching, life-loving theme. I believe that poetry, either writing or reading it, is a stress-reducing tactic, as it lifts up one's mood and eases anxiety.