Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

April 8, 2012

"Enchanting Freedom"
By Merri April Sheldon   
                                                                       
The gushing of the streams so clear,
Music over mossy rocks it does steer,
The mosses ever so softly cushion my feet,
Surrounded by ferns a path I do seek,
Deer trails leading to and fro,
Through the jade forest I do go,
Luminous is the canopy green,
In this woodland I begin to sing,
Not a soul within my sight,
Gives my song a bold delight,
Like a forest imp I go,
Laughing, singing and dancing, you know.
Not a soul to say it’s wrong,
To climb the trees or sing a song.

* * * * * * * * * *

"My Friend"
Anonymous

How does an agnostic say a prayer?
Oh, I'm not asking for me, I'm asking for ... um ... a friend
If a loved one of "my friend" develops cancer
How does she say a prayer?
If an atheist says a prayer, that seems hypocritical
Is it hypocritical if an agnostic says a prayer?
It's not that "my friend" claims there is no elderly gentleman
With white hair and a long white beard
Looking down and keeping score
Or that "my friend" claims there is no spark of life
An energy that permeates the universe
And connects us all
"My friend" just feels it is not possible to know for sure
So, is it okay if "my friend" says,
"Power of the cosmos, please send positive energy
And blessings to my sick loved one."
Someone please let me know if it's okay
So I can tell "my friend."