Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Monday, April 2, 2012

April 2, 2012

"The Tall Oak"
By Andrew Vertein

The tall lonely tree,
Spreading its limbs to the sky,
Praying to the sun.

I am Andrew Vertein and I am graduating this May. This is my haiku.

* * * * * * * * * *

"MATH!?"
By Jim Jarvis

Mathematics - some people like it, some people do not,
But it is the Queen of science and that is saying a lot.

From Archimedes to Newton math has changed the world,
For some students math has caused their mind to be
     tossed, tangled and twirled.

"Anyone can do it!" - a line from a movie a few years back,
Often students don't buy that - it's confidence they lack.

Fractions, percents, equations, and the real number line,
Powers and roots, tangent and sine.

To master the concepts that have been difficult for me,
I have persisted with a strategy I have found to be key.

When working on a concept I don't understand,
I find asking questions and learning go hand in hand.

I ask once, I ask twice, I ask three times and four,
If that doesn't do it, I ask questions some more.

Question and question and expand your view,
You'll be amazed with mathematics the things you can do.

From nanotechnology to string theory to making a reality of
     Deep Space 9,
The Queen of the sciences forever will shine.

I retired from the School District of Rhinelander three years ago. I am currently an adjunct at Nicolet teaching Applied Technical Math.