Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

April 28, 2012

"Shadows"
By William Kuckkahn

Rays off a warm sunset
Dry up what's left to wither away
A sad song rings soft
Amidst long shadows this day

Along the tides of fear and dread
And lifeless souls living for dead
Our hearts and souls creep away
To regions unknown, weeping dismay

What life brings
And easily takes
The breath you take
You can easily sing

Life lost in this mess of hope
Bury deep those feelings
And ignore the urge to cope
Because life is and was gone

Lost away to pettier things
And given no room for rebuttal
Blown away by the winds of change
There is no way to be subtle

The sun can rise again
Wipe away the pain and then
Give me love with which to lie
'Till life flutters, soon to die

This poem is the result of that instant where a person realizes they need to write something. Anything. So I put pen to paper and composed the poem on a fast food napkin. It's strange being in that trance because upon reading the completed work, I asked myself, "Where did that come from?"

I am a part-time student in the Architectural Technology program and have always enjoyed writing and composing. Whether they be good or bad, writing is an effective tool in my days to help relieve any stressors on my mind.

* * * * * * * * * *

"counselor's office personified
By Janice Kanyusik

you were not perfect
and neither was I
but I loved you
none the less
and more over time

year after year
histories breathed life
into your corners
your walls absorbed
the vibrations
stories of fear
depression
joy
told each day
and held them
like the walls of a heart
steadfast
you cared
for those stories
in silence each night
revealed their meanings
to me each morning

if rooms and people
could have relationships
you would be my
elder sister
my gifted colleague
my wise friend
protective
calming

over the years
we made our way
we listened carefully
exhausted ourselves
restored ourselves
enjoyed our clichéd joke
together ah yes "if these
walls could only talk"
laughed with many
held hope for many
encouraged them
oh my beloved sister
you will be dismantled
and demolished soon
making way for
something new
but I promise you this

as I leave on that last day
I will turn back to you
bearing witness
as our precious stories
are released into the air

The school year 2011-2012 has been my 25th year as a Counselor at Nicolet College.